Grandma Visits
Sometimes, Grandma comes to visit
She checks up on me to make sure I'm ok
I sat on my front porch, and a cardinal came
She ate from the feeder right in front of me
"I miss you, Grandma", I whispered
She bobbed her head, and flew away
To show me how free she was
Grandma was the kindest soul this world has ever known
Everyone who met her found this out right away
And she brought laughter with her whenever she came
But there was a sadness in her voice after Grandpa left us
That sadness hurt me more than most things ever could
One time, Grandma brought Dad with her to see me
She taught Dad how to love with reckless abandon
And then he taught me - the most important lesson
I saw her come to my bird feeder again, and then moments later
A bright red, male cardinal came
He had no crest on top of his head, but seemed to be missing feathers
"Bald on top, just like my Dad", I thought
"I miss you, Dad", I whispered
He bobbed his head, crunching seeds as he did
Then he flew away
To show me how free he was

No comments:
Post a Comment